Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Gifts

In my family since there are now 7 grandchildren/nieces and nephews, we decided quite a few years ago that the adults would draw names. That worked out well, but now that times are tighter, for the past two years we've added a new wrinkle.


You draw a name, and you can get that person anything you want, as long as it comes from your home (something you already have) or you make it.

The idea is that you don't have to go out and spend money. It's worked out pretty fantastic for the most part.



This year my grandmother picked my name and she gave me a sweet little box filled with about 8 shot glasses that my grandfather had purchased from Eastern Airlines when he worked for them over 50 years ago. She wrapped them in some of her delicate, gorgeous hankies that I have always loved. A true treasure for sure!

My brother got John's name, and my brother has been honing his woodworking skills on the tools that he inherited after my grandfather passed away. He made my brother a wooden sign that says "John's Cafe" with a little pot with steam coming off of it. It is really beautiful!

John and I both made various baked goods for our giftees and added some little trinkets that we had laying around.

I think everyone was pretty pleased with how things turned out. I know I am!!  I also like how it makes it more about each other and less about trying to out-buy someone.

How do you guys deal with Christmas gifting in your family?
 
Charlene

No comments: