Saturday, February 2, 2008

The Fat Snook - The Review - From spaces.live

February 02


The Fat Snook - The Review

In case any of you are in cocoa beach someday and wander by The Fat Snook http://www.thefatsnook.com/, I thought I might share my experience with you.

I called around 2pm on Friday and made reservations for two. We wanted them at 8:30, but they didn't have anything available until 9, so 9 it was.

When we arrived there were only two tables that weren't taken. There are only like 12 tables in the place... plus about 6 seats at the bar.

We ordered appetizers... Tuna Carpaccio with mooli salad and Peppercorn bacon wrapped scallops with Raspberry Paint.

The tuna was perfect. Slightly seared and dressed with spicy sesame oil and a little rice wine vinegar. The mooli salad seemed to be made up with julienned daikon, cucumber and scallion. VERY tasty. Here is a link to a recipe ( http://thepassionatecook.typepad.com/thepassionatecook/2004/06/sesamecrusted_t.html ) that I think would be similar to what we had last night.

The scallops were my favorite of the entire evening. Even though they were smallish, they were very flavorful. I liked the peppercorn bacon, which was very crispy. The raspberry paint (which was raspberry coulis) absolutely made the dish though. It was unsweetened pureed raspberries. Mmmmm. You can see a picture of the scallops, tuna and some of their other dishes here http://www.thebeachsideresident.com/the-fat-snook.htm.

I would have been happy with having a few more scallops and calling it a night... but no. We ordered a glass of the house pinot grigio, which was delicious. My friend also ordered a Stella Artois.

The salads came next. The caesar salad had a true caesar dressing. I'm certain that they mixed it up themselves in the back room, raw eggs, anchovies and all. The lettuce was chopped up nicely, and it even came with a few halved grape tomatoes. I ordered the Spinach Salad. It was dressed with a catalina type dressing and had finely chopped red onion, bacon and one tiny piece of egg. The salad was delicious, but I would have liked a little more egg.

For our meals, my friend ordered the special of the day "Callalou" and I the Delmonico au Fromage. The Callalou was ok. It had nice firm fish, but my friend thought that it was a little over cooked, and could have used some rice or something. It was $27.95, and seemed a bit over priced.

The Delmonico au Fromage on the other hand was incredible. It was probably 10oz sliced in half, plated on top of a nice blend of roasted fingerling potatoes, carrots, zucchini, peppers and yellow squash. The "au Fromage" tasted like a mixture of blue and goat cheese with perfectly browned sliced crimini mushrooms and herbs. I was very impressed. I was especially impressed that this was only $24.95!

I also had coffee. Unfortunately, they use an airpot, and it must have been there for a very long time, because although the coffee tasted ok, it was barely warm... very unfortunate for me, because I needed the heat from the coffee to loosen my lap band. That didn't work, so I ended up bringing most of my steak home, which is fine. I'll have it for dinner tonight.

All in all it was a very good meal. Total cost with 20% gratuity - $121.00.

Not bad considering that the beverages made up $25 of that.

The ambiance in the place was ok. Unfortunately there was tile on the floor, and tin on the walls, and while it does look nice, it was horribly loud. My friend and I could not hear each other unless we leaned in, and we were constantly saying "what?" when the other spoke. That was the only downside.


C

No comments: