Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Big Green Egg and a hunk of beef two ways (Part 1 of 2)

Almost two years ago, we decided that instead of putting a large hunk of money into another "disposable" grill from Home Depot, that we would spend a bit more money and have a grill that lasts a lifetime.  We haven't regretted a moment of it.

Last weekend, I had an eye round roast, and had planned on cooking it in the oven, low and slow a la a recipe that an old boss of mine made for Christmas parties.  The beef comes out super tender and rare.  John mentioned that he'd like to try it on the BGE, but I had a little reservations about it, because it can sometimes be difficult for me to keep the BGE very low, which is what this cut needs.  I was fretting about it, and not exactly sure what I should do, or how to go about it, and John said to just get started and it would come to me.  He was at work, and I had this hunk of meat, so here we went...

Nice sized eye round of beef rubbed with our Memphis Rub

We haven't used the BGE in a while, so it took a bit of time to get it prepped and ready, plus I had already soaked some mesquite chunks.  It was going strong

BGE Chugging along
 Ready to throw the meat on after placing the probe thermometer and shielding it from the heat



Done... It ended up being a bit too dry.  It cooked a little higher than I would have liked, and I pulled it at 130 degrees and I probably should have pulled it at 115 degrees especially considering the amount of time that it sat before we ate it.  We ended up chopping it up and putting it on a salad and had it along side of the falafel below.  It was delicious!  Nice pink smoke ring too, which you'll see in dish two.



Needless to say, we had a bunch of meat left, and we've been meaning to make chili with it all week.  We finally got it going today

I think I'm going to make this a two part series :)  Part two coming in a few minutes.

Char

No comments: