Friday, November 9, 2012

Where I'm From


Where I’m From
November 8, 2012

I am from clothes hanging on the line outside, from Hellman’s mayo and great grandma’s sweet pickles.

I am from the hot, un-airconditioned SOUTH, playing in the sprinklers, getting a suntan on the boat or the back deck or the hand-dug pond in the back yard that is warmed with water that flows through a pipe that goes through a fire pit.

I am from the Aralias, Gerbera Daisies and the marijuana, the crinkly leaves, the stunning gem colors, and the curious cages.

I am from Ginnie Springs camping at Thanksgiving and Standing Rib Roast at Christmas.  I am from Great Grandma Wood and Great Grammie Glidden and across the Northeast US and across the pond.

I am from the alcoholism and deep stubbornness .

From “Don’t make that face or it’ll get frozen that way” and “Because I said so”.

I am from going to churches with friends and relatives and on special occasions. I am from Montessori School to Sunday School.

I'm from Florida, Germany and Scotland, Great grandpa’s refrigerator Velcro soup, Entenman’s doughnuts and fresh fish and lobster on demand.

From the time on the Peace River when it was “TOO DEEP”, the times the fire department was called to the house because of shenanigans that were too obvious to ignore, to cozy, fun, loving sleepovers at JoJo and Aunt Sandy’s houses.

I am from Great Grandma’s book of our genealogy, The Wood family wall in JoJo’s house, and the love that was never lacking.

No comments: